Crock Pot Butter Chicken
Updated: Jan 30, 2020
3 tbsp butter
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion peeled and chopped
700 g chicken breast approx. 4 large chicken breasts, diced
4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
1 large piece of ginger about the size of your thumb, peeled and finely chopped
1 tsp salt
1.5 tbsp garam masala
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cinnamon
240 ml (1 cup) chicken stock water plus a stock cube or bouillon for gluten free is fine
2 x 400ml/14oz tins of chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato puree (Tomato Paste for US)
2 tsp sugar
6 cardamom pods sew them together with a piece of string so you can easily fish them out later
175 ml or 3/4 cup double/heavy cream
Handful of chopped coriander to serve
1. Preheat your slow cooker to high.
2. Heat the butter and oil in a large pan, add in the onion and chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes until the onions are softened and the chicken is sealed.
3. Add in the garlic, ginger, salt, garam masala, curry powder, paprika and cinnamon. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add in the stock, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, sugar and cardamom. Stir then pour into your slow cooker and cook for 4-5 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
4. Remove the cardamom then stir in the cream and allow to heat through.
5. Serve over rice sprinkled with some coriander